2 Top-Fives for Chip Ganassi Racing in Rolex 24 at Daytona
Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona - Daytona Beach, FL
Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (CGRFS) NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya led 37 laps late in the race, but gave up the lead on Lap 711 in the No. 01 TELMEX/Target Daytona Prototype to fall just short of a fourth straight Rolex 24 At Daytona win by just 0.167-seconds -- the closest finish in the event's 47-year history. The team's second entry (No. 02 Target/TELMEX Daytona Prototype) driven by Target IndyCar Series drivers Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti finished fifth overall with co-driver Alex Lloyd.
For Montoya and co-drivers Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas, the 24-hour event was virtually flawless other than a cracked splitter in the first six hours. The trio never fell out of the top two in the last five hours of the event, nor did it fall out of the top-five over the final 15 hours.
The car led seven different times during the 24 hours, with each of the team's three drivers occupying the top spot over the course of the race. Eventually, the race became a dual between the No. 01 and the No. 58 car as the two traded the lead eight times over the final 188 laps. Montoya took the lead on Lap 674 and led through Lap 710 when he was slowed by traffic coming through the bus-stop, providing the No. 58 with the opportunity it needed to take the lead. Montoya would take numerous runs through the final 25 laps, but was never able to squeeze by on the way to the eventual second-place finish.
While the No., 01 had a virtually trouble-free race, things didn't go quite as well for the No. 02 in the late stages of the event, although the team was in contention for the victory through the first 16 hours. After leading for the final time on Lap 477, the No. 02 suffered its first setback with a brake problem on Lap 497, which resulted in Franchitti having to drive through the chicane on the way to the pits. In addition to losing a lap due to the brake problem, the team also was issued a drive-through penalty for going through the chicane, which put them two laps down.
After regaining one of those laps on the race track, a realistic shot at victory was taken away on Lap 550 when the car lost its nose and was forced to head to the garage. Despite the setback, another strong effort by the CGRFS crew kept the team from dropping below sixth on the way to its eventual fifth-place finish. The No. 02 team never ran below 10th throughout the twice-around-the-clock endurance event.
The Rolex Sports Car Series resumes with the Bosch Engineering 250 at Virginia International Raceway in Alton, Va., April 25.
* After scoring a second-place finish today, CGRFS has the greatest four-race stretch in Rolex 24 history with three wins and a second since 2005.
* Montoya has never finished below second in three Rolex 24 attempts, with two wins and a second. Last year, he became the first driver in history to win two overall titles in his first two Rolex 24 events.
* The No. 01 car never fell out of the top-five overall after the ninth hour of the race. It marks the third straight year that they've never been lower than fifth in the final 15 hours of the event (based on hourly updates).
* Congratulations to the number 09 AMA Pro Racing/Spirt of Daytona Porsche driven by Guy Cosmo, Jason Pridmore, Scott Russell, and Jeff Ward. The team completed 649 laps and finished 23rd in the field.
(listed with position, car number in parenthesis, drivers and hometowns, class, team, car, laps completed)
1. (58) David Donohue, Malvern, Pa.; Antonio Garcia, Madrid, Spain; Darren Law, Phoenix, Ariz.; Buddy Rice, Phoenix, Ariz.; DP; Brumos Racing; Porsche; 735.
2. (01) Scott Dixon, Indianapolis, Ind.; Juan Pablo Montoya, Miami, Fla.; Scott Pruett, Auburn, Calif.; Memo Rojas, Mexico City, Mexico; DP; Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates; Lexus; 735.
3. (59) Joao Barbosa, Porto, Portugal; Terry Borcheller, Vero Beach, Fla.; JC France, Daytona Beach, Fla.; Hurley Haywood, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.; DP; Brumos Racing; Porsche; 735.
4. (10) Max Angelelli, Monte Carlo, Monaco; Brian Frisselle, Aspen. Colo.; Pedro Lamy, Lisbon, Portugal; Wayne Taylor, Apopka, Fla.; DP; SunTrust Racing; Ford; 735.
5. (02) Scott Dixon, Indianapolis, Ind.; Dario Franchitti, Nashville, Tenn.; Alex Lloyd, Carmel, Ind.; Scott Pruett, Auburn, Calif.; DP; Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates; Lexus; 731.
6. (16) Timo Bernhard, Dittweiles, Germany; Ryan Briscoe, Indianapolis, Ind.; Romain Dumas, Basel, Switzerland; DP; Penske Racing; Porsche; 717.
7. (99) Jon Fogarty, Bend, Ore.; Alex Gurney, Irvine, Calif.; Jimmie Johnson, Mooresville, N.C.; Jimmy Vasser, Las Vegas, Nev. ; DP; GAINSCO/ Bob Stallings Racing; Pontiac; 714.
8. (2) Rob Finlay, Charlotte, N.C. ; Casey Mears, Mooresville, N.C. ; Danica Patrick, Roscoe, Ill.; Andy Wallace, Oxford, England; DP; Childress-Howard Motorsports; Pontiac; 702.
9. (67) Jorg Bergmeister, Langenfeld, Germany; Andy Lally, Dacula, Ga.; Patrick Long, Belleair, Fla.; Justin Marks, Rockland, Calif.; RJ Valentine, Braintree, Mass.; GT; TRG; Porsche GT3; 695.
10. (66) Ted Ballou, Corona Del Mar, Calif.; Emmanuel Collard, Paris, France; Tim George Jr, New York, N.Y.; Richard Lietz, Ybbsitz, Austria; Spencer Pumpelly, Suwanee, Ga.; GT; TRG; Porsche GT3; 694.
11. (33) Sascha Maassen, Raeren, Belgium; Phillip Martien, ; Patrick Pilet, Le Chesnay, Yvelines, France; BJ Zacharias, Cincinnati, Ohio; GT; Wright Motorsports; Porsche GT3; 691.
12. (07) Kelly Collins, Newport Beach, Calif.; Paul Edwards, Nipomo, Calif.; Jan Magnussen, England; GT; Banner Racing; Pontiac GXP.R; 689.
13. (86) Dominik Farnbacher, Ansbach, Germany; Eric Lux, Jacksonville, Fla.; Matthew Marsh, Hong Kong; Kevin Roush, Upland, Calif.; GT; Farnbacher Loles Racing; Porsche GT3; 688.
14. (57) Jeff Bucknum, Lake Havasu City, Ariz.; Andrew Davis, Bogart, Ga.; Robin Liddell, Newbury, England; GT; Stevenson Motorsports; Pontiac GXP.R; 684.
15. (88) Steve Johnson, Bristol, Va.; Dave Lacey, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Robert Nearn, London, England; James Sofronas, Newport Beach, Calif.; Richard Westbrook, London, England; GT; Farnbacher Loles Racing; Porsche GT3; 680.
16. (87) Dominik Farnbacher, Ansbach, Germany; Wolf Henzler, Nuertingen, Germany; Leh Keen, Charleston, S.C.; Dirk Werner, Kissenbruck, Germany; Richard Westbrook, London, England; GT; Farnbacher Loles Racing; Porsche GT3; 676.
17. (69) Emil Assentato, Locust Valley, N.Y. ; Nick Longhi, Nyack, N.Y.; Matt Plumb, Newport, R.I.; Jeff Segal, Miami, Fla.; GT; SpeedSource; Mazda RX-8; 675.
18. (26) Gerardo Bonilla, San Juan, Puerto Rico; Jerome Jacalone, New York, N.Y.; Joe Jacalone, St. Augustine, Fla.; Shane Lewis, Jupiter, Fla.; Randy Pobst, Atlanta, Ga.; GT; Gotham Competition; Porsche GT3; 675.
19. (55) Christophe Bouchut, Fontaines, France; Raphael Matos, Miami, Fla.; Scott Tucker, Leawood, Kan.; Ed Zabinski, Atlanta, Ga. ; DP; Level 5 Motorsports; BMW; 665.
20. (13) Jared Beyer, New Braunfels, Texas; David Martinez, ; Jordan Taylor, Apopka, Fla.; Ricky Taylor, Apopka, Fla.; DP; Beyer Racing; Pontiac; 662.
21. (32) Patrick Barrett, Los Osos, Calif. ; Mike Forest, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; Thomas Merrill, Salinas, Calif. ; Al Salvo, Arcadia, Calif.; Jeff Westphal, San Carlos, Calif.; GT; PR1 Motorsports; Pontiac GXP.R; 656.
22. (97) Galen Bieker, ; Ryan Eversley, Winder, Ga.; James Gue, Alpharetta, Ga.; Tom Long, Raleigh, N.C. ; GT; Stevenson Motorsports; Corvette; 650.
23. (09) Guy Cosmo, West Palm Beach, Fla.; Jason Pridmore, Ventura, Calif.; Scott Russell, Atlanta, Ga.; Jeff Ward, Newport Beach, Calif.; DP; Spirit of Daytona Racing; Porsche; 649.
24. (30) Dane Cameron, Glen Ellen, Calif.; Doug Peterson, Bonita Springs, Fla.; Bryan Sellers, Auburn, Ga.; Dion von Moltke, Coral Gables, Fla.; GT; Racers Edge Motorsports; Mazda RX-8; 647.
25. (68) Duncan Ende, Los Angeles, Calif.; Josemanuel Gutierrez, Monterrey, Mexico; Steve Miller, Mercer Island, Wash.; Chris Pallis, Mercer Island, Wash.; Scott Schroeder, Atherton, Calif.; GT; TRG; Porsche GT3; 625.
26. (89) Pierre Kaffer, Salenstein, Switzerland; Giacomo Petrobelli, Padona, Italy; Gabrio Rosa, Bergamo, Italy; Giorgio Rosa, Bergamo, Italy; Allan Simonsen, Melbourne, Australia; GT; Farnbacher Loles Racing; Porsche GT3; 622.
27. (85) Richard Campollo, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; Michael Gomez, Madison, Ala.; Daniel Graeff, Miami, Fla.; Wolf Henzler, Nuertingen, Germany; Ron Yarab Jr., Poland, Ohio; GT; Farnbacher Loles Racing; Porsche GT3; 604.
28. (70) Jonathan Bomarito, Salinas, Calif.; Nick Ham, Evergreen, Colo.; David Haskell, Plantation, Fla.; Sylvain Tremblay, Sunrise, Fla.; GT; SpeedSource; Mazda RX-8; 591.
29. (63) Kurt Kossmann, Scituate, Mass.; Bruce Ledoux, Southboro, Mass.; David Quinlan, Cohassett, Mass.; Dan Watkins, ; Steve Zadig, ; GT; TRG; Porsche GT3; 572.
30. (44) Ross Bentley, Issaquah, Wash.; Keith Carter, Vancouver, BC; Daniel Harrington , ; Glenn Nixon, Mission, BC, Canada; Steve Paquette, Vancouver, BC, Canada; GT; Bullet Racing; Porsche GT3; 519.
31. (77) Matteo Bobbi, ; Memo Gidley, Novato, Calif.; Fabrizio Gollin, Castelfranco Veneto, Italy; Brad Jaeger, Cincinnati, Ohio; DP; Doran Racing; Ford; 504.
32. (35) Lawson Aschenbach, West Palm Beach, Fla.; Hiram Cruz, ; Omar Rodriguez, ;
- 22.08.2014 : Northern Notes: Canada Wins - Facciotti Goes to Utah | Motocross - Ontario, Canada
- 21.08.2014 : Where Are They Now - Cam Zink | MTB Freeride - Mammoth Lakes, CA
- 21.08.2014 : Colton Facciotti To Fill-In For TLD / Lucas Oil / MAVTV / Honda's Malcolm Stewart | AMA Motocross - Corona, CA
- 20.08.2014 : Will Power Dominates at The Milwaukee Mile 2014 | IndyCar - Milwaukee, WI
- 20.08.2014 : Raceline Pirelli Suzuki Back on Track for Gladstone | Motocross - Gladstone, Queensland, Australia
- 20.08.2014 : Rain Check: Jessy Nelson Grabs His First Moto Win | AMA Motocross - Crawfordsville, IN
- 19.08.2014 : Team Target Claims Two Top-Five Finishes at Milwaukee 2014 | IndyCar - Milwaukee, WI
- 19.08.2014 : Semenuk Becomes Most Decorated Athlete in Crankworx Slopestyle History | Freeride MTB - Whistler, Canada
- 18.08.2014 : Troy Lee Designs Score First National Motocross Win in Indiana Mud | AMA Motocross - Crawfordsville, IN
- 15.08.2014 : Interview: Curtis Keene Speaks on Racing, His Career and More | Enduro - Whistler, Canada